Currently Reading

Currently Reading
Villette by Charlotte Bronte

Progress

80 of 1001 Books Read

Saturday, August 7, 2010

A "love" story in Syracuse?

In the opening to Callirhoe, Chariton states that he is going to relate a love story from Syracuse. Well let me lay this out for you. I wouldn't say what he related was love. In my opinion nothing that Chariton described had much to do with love. The only virtue he described that attracted Callirhoe and Chaereas to each other was their outward appearance. Now I know what you're saying, "C'mon Keith, what do you know about love. Nobody has ever demeaned themselves enough to want to be with you." Point taken. But often he who has been most rebuked by Love is often its best analyst.

Another issue I have with this book is the constant references to Homer's Iliad and Odyssey. I mean it seems like every paragraph or so had a quote from Homer.

I will say that I really like the quote at the end, "I do not reproach you, Lady, for what I have suffered: that was my fate. I beg you, never part me from _____, but grant us a happy life, and death together." I may use that if there ever comes a day that a woman decides that my company isn't worse than death.

On to the next book, since Cloud Atlas hasn't arrived yet so I'll be reading A Clockwork Orange. I've read a couple of pages and it looks like it will be a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment