Currently Reading

Currently Reading
Villette by Charlotte Bronte

Progress

80 of 1001 Books Read

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Couple of things I'm working on.

I'm in the middle of reading Cloud Atlas and am finding it quite interesting. Its a tough book to explain its basically a set of short stories that span time and the characters all seem to be intertwined. Really looking forward to figuring out whats what.

Now I have my list saved as a word document containing twenty-three pages. Each time I read a book, I change the font of that book on my list to bold and red. So the other day I was scanning the list and was interested in seeing how many pages had no books in red. I found eight pages that had no red books. Interestingly enough the page that has the most is the final page which only goes from 989-1001 which has five. I decided that after I read Amok by Stefan Zweig that I will line up a book from each so that they may have at least one red book. Here is the list in order:

1. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
2. Vertigo by W.G. Sebald
3. A Tale of a Tub by Jonathan Swift
4. Troubles by J.G. Farrell
5. Hallucinating Foucault by Patricia Duncker
6. Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami
7. Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley
8. The Siege of Krishnapur by J.G. Farrell

I find it so interesting that I chose these books at random and yet two of them are not only by the same author but are also two parts of a trilogy.

Also, to fill the gaps between finishing a book and going to the bookstore to get the next one, I'm going to use the Nook app on my Droid. I have been able to get about 20 free ebooks which are on the list so I'll see how I like books e-reader style.

6 comments:

  1. I just can't bring myself to get a kindle or nook. I like holding a book and flipping pages too much. Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a reader on my droid as well, and it's been fine so far. Good for bed reading. I prefer real books everywhere else, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far I've only played with the Nook app, I haven't actually sit down and told myself, "Alright handsome, you're going to read this book." I do fear that the screen on the Droid will be too small. I prefer a book but there are some books on the list that if a single guy in his 30s is reading people start wondering things. No offense Dana, I know they're some of your favorites but I'm talking of course Jane Austen books which I believe I currently have three in my Nook library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can come borrow my Jane Austen book. That way you don't have to buy it. I have all seven novels in one big leather bound. Also in leather bound is The Complete Sherlock Holmes, The Complete Tales & Poems of Edgar Allan Poe, The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll. I also have Gulliver's Travels, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Oliver Twist, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, The Scarlet Letter, Walden, Madam Bovary, Great Expectations, War & Peace, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Dracula, Babbitt, Ragtime, so if you ever want to come over for some drinks with Matthew, you can take home a few.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may take you up on that especially if the e-reader doesn't pan out. A sizeable chunk of those are in my Nook library including: Emma, P & P, and S & S by Austen, Babbit, Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass, Huck Finn [How did I not read Huck Finn like 20 years ago (Holy crap I'm old enough that I should have read something bigger than "Everybody Poops" 20 years ago!)], Madame Bovary, Dracula, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Scarlett Letter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shawna, I'd be remiss if I didn't say, "About friggin' time you post on here!"

    ReplyDelete