Currently Reading

Currently Reading
Villette by Charlotte Bronte

Progress

80 of 1001 Books Read

Friday, December 3, 2010

The Book of Evidence by John Banville

Just finished with The Book of Evidence by John Banville. It is the testimony of a murderer. He matter-of-factly recounts the events which led to him bashing a young woman's head in. He finally decides that he killed her because he simply could. He didn't view her as an actual human being so he could do what he wanted. Isn't that the essence of most of our wrongdoings? Few people, I believe, are inherently evil in the James Bond-villian image. They just are able to convince themselves that what they're doing isn't wrong for whatever reason.

Next is a book called Harriet Hume by Rebecca West which was chosen at random via www.random.org. I must admit I know nothing of this book. Actually I believe it is currently out of print, since Barnes and Noble doesn't have a new copy online. The copy I bought is a used copy which I bought from the Atlanta Book Company via Barnes and Noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment