Currently Reading

Currently Reading
Villette by Charlotte Bronte

Progress

80 of 1001 Books Read

Saturday, April 9, 2011

50!!!!!!!!!

Just finished Vanity Fair by Thomas Makepeace Thackeray. I enjoyed this book more than I expected I would. I especially enjoyed the style of narration as the narrator presented the story as if he was describing a stage play. The story is a work of satire on the English nobility. It revolves around two women, the simple Amelia and the (kindest word I can use) parasitic Rebecca. Both women marriages cause there husbands to be renounced from their families. Most of the characters in this story are not honorable, however there is Major William Dobbin who is the very model of honor and loyalty. A few of my favorite passages from the story:

"He (George Osborne) was seen lighting his cigar with one (Amelia's love letter), to the horror of Captain Dobbin, who, it is my belief, would have given a bank-note for the document."

"It is those who injure women who get the most kindness from them--they are born timid and tyrants, and maltreat those who are humblest before them"

Isn't that the truth.

Dobbin is woefully mistreated by Amelia while Amelia is captivated by the reprobate George Osborne. By any meaningful criteria Osborne should not be able to even stand in the presence of Dobbin and yet Amelia so easily and completely disregards Dobbin. That is as true today as ever. How many times have we all seen women even women who could not be described as simple choose hollow style over substance?

Next on the docket is Coming Up For Air by George Orwell.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! You're 20% done! Sounds higher when stated that way ;) I'm jealous you can read so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually 200 would be 20%, I'm about 5% done.

    This book seemed to take forever, of course it was like 800 pages. My secret to reading quickly? I have little to no social life so I have a lot of time to fill in a day.

    ReplyDelete