Currently Reading

Currently Reading
Villette by Charlotte Bronte

Progress

80 of 1001 Books Read

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Coming Up For Air by George Orwell

Finished Coming Up for Air by George Orwell. This book was not what I'd expected taken into account the two books of Orwell that I'm familiar with, Animal Farm and 1984. This book focused on a middle-aged, middle-class man who lives in the suburbs. I guess you could say that George Bowling is going through a mid-life crisis. He senses that World War II is about to begin and it gives him pause because he was wounded in World War I. He wants to get away from life to not have to worry about the impending war, his nagging wife, etc., etc, so he decides to take a trip to his childhood home after being gone 20 years. Does he find out that you can't go home again or (I hate that I'm stealing this tagline from the atrocious movie "Sweet Home Alabama") Sometimes what you're looking for is right where you left it?

Next is Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I think I shall devote at least the next several selections to my library of e-books. I think I have about forty that I got free from Barnes & Noble.

2 comments:

  1. That's quite a lot of free books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah last fall they had a deal where each Friday they offered about 9 free books from the Barnes & Noble Classics Collection. Most of them were on my list. If you search on their website "$0.00" you can find a ton of free books that you've probably never heard of.

    ReplyDelete